Thank you. Your request has been received.
See below for more information about our degree programs…
The concurrent Master of Divinity (MDiv) and Master of Theological Studies (MTS) degree provides both academic study and ministerial training. This degree can prepare students for professional ministry, careers in education, or further academic work.
Concurrent MDiv and MTS Degree
The concurrent Master of Divinity (MDiv) and Master of Theological Studies (MTS) degree prepares students for Church or lay ecclesial ministry, and provides a breadth of theological understanding. The goals for this four-year program are the same as for the individual MTS and MDiv degrees.
Students intending to serve as ordained presbyters in the Roman Catholic Church are required to complete an additional year of theological and ministerial formation. See our Non-Degree Programs page for more details.
Concurrent MDiv and MTS degree students are required to:
- Complete 96 semester units as listed in the curriculum below, of which a maximum of 24 may be taken at the University of San Diego’s graduate schools.
- Engage in all field education requirements
- Maintain an overall 3.0 grade point average in all required and elective courses
- Be enrolled in the school for at least 8 semesters to fulfill the 4-year full-time tuition residency requirement
- Complete all work within 8 years of the first semester of enrollment
Curriculum of the MDiv/MTS Program
|Introduction to Old Testament||3|
|Basic Christian Liturgy||3|
|Basic Systematic Theology (Intro or God and Trinity)||3|
|Ancient Christianity/Medieval to Reformation||3|
Second to Eighth Semesters
|Fundamental Moral Theology||3|
|Modern American Catholicism or Interpreting the Church Today||3|
|Second Course in Ethics (Choose 1)
|Introduction to New Testament||3|
|Advanced New Testament Courses (Choose 2)
-Gospel and Epistles of John
|Advanced Old Testament Courses (Choose 1)
|Intercultural Theology (in __________)||3|
|Ecclesiology: Theology and Ministry in the Church||3|
Third to Sixth Semesters
|Ministry Seminar I||3|
|Ministry Seminar II||3|
|Ministry Seminar III||3|
|Ministry Seminar IV||3|