Concurrent MDiv and MTS Degrees
The concurrent Master of Divinity (MDiv) and Master of Theological Studies (MTS) degree provides both academic study and ministerial training. This degree can prepare students for professional ministry, careers in education, or further academic work.
Concurrent MDiv and MTS Degree
The concurrent Master of Divinity (MDiv) and Master of Theological Studies (MTS) degree prepares students for Church or lay ecclesial ministry, and provides a breadth of theological understanding. The goals for this four-year program are the same as for the individual MTS and MDiv degrees.
Students intending to serve as ordained presbyters in the Roman Catholic Church are required to complete an additional year of theological and ministerial formation. See our Non-Degree Programs page for more details.
Concurrent MDiv and MTS degree students are required to:
- Complete 96-semester units as listed in the curriculum below, of which a maximum of 24 may be taken at the University of San Diego’s graduate schools.
- Engage in all field education requirements
- Maintain an overall 3.0 grade point average in all required and elective courses
- Be enrolled in the school for at least 8 semesters to fulfill the 4-year full-time tuition residency requirement
- Complete all work within 8 years of the first semester of enrollment
Curriculum of the MDiv/MTS Program
- First Semester
- Second to Eighth Semesters
- Third to Sixth Semesters
UnitsIntroduction to Old Testament3Basic Christian Liturgy3Basic Systematic Theology (Intro or God and Trinity)3Ancient Christianity/Medieval to Reformation3
UnitsFundamental Moral Theology3History3Modern American Catholicism or Interpreting the Church Today3Second Course in Ethics (Choose 1)3- Social- Medical- SexualIntroduction to New Testament3Advanced New Testament Courses (Choose 2)6- Synoptic Gospels- Gospel and Epistles of John- Pauline LettersAdvanced Old Testament Courses (Choose 1)3- Psalms- Wisdom Literature- ProphetsChristology3Intercultural Theology (in __________)3Spirituality3Ecclesiology: Theology and Ministry in the Church3Sacramental Theology3Professional Ethics1.5
UnitsMinistry Seminar II3Ministry Seminar II3Ministry Seminar III3Ministry Seminar IV4Electives13.5Elective Specialization12Thesis6