Certificate in Asian and Pacific Islander Catholic Ministry
The objective of this program is to provide a culturally focused formation of pastoral leaders, both professional staff and volunteer lay, who serve the growing number of Asian Pacific Islander Catholic communities around the United States.
We will look at immigration histories, cultural and religious practices, and Catholic teachings and traditions, from the API perspective. We will also unpack the US Bishops’ document, Encountering Christ in Harmony: A Pastoral Response to Our Asian and Pacific Island Brothers and Sisters, to see what practical guidance it offers for those working on the ground with API communities.
Upon successful completion of the certificate, students will:
- Know the immigration history, religious practices, and sociological challenges of API Catholics in the US;
- Have a broad overview of Catholic teachings and theology as well as church history and structure, scripture, liturgy, catechesis, and API immigration history in the US;
- Be able to more effectively understand the needs of API Catholic communities;
- Be better equipped to implement culturally effective ministerial strategies for various API communities.
*Spots have been filled for the 2023-2024 program. Stay tuned for more information for 2024-2025*
If you are interested in joining the 2024 cohort which will begin next August, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Program Dates: August 2023-June 2024
Course Modality: Online meetings twice per month; Two in-person sessions in Oceanside, CA: August 21-23, 2023, and June 20-23, 2024.
Certificate Completion Requirement: Students are required to attend all on-line meetings and complete all course assignments. Assignments will include short reflection papers and a final pastoral project addressing a topic of API ministry, chosen by the student.
Scholarships are available thanks to the generosity of our supporters.
Thursdays @ 5pm (PT)/8pm (ET)
IN-PERSON (Mandatory) Sessions in Oceanside, California:
August 21-23, 2023, and June 20-23, 2024
- Topic 1 (In person Aug 21-23): Church History and Program Kick-off
- Topic 2 – Race and Justice
- Sep 7 (Lecture) @ 5-6:30pm (PT)
- Sep 21 (Discussion) @ 5-6pm (PT)
- Topic 3 – Evangelization
- Oct 5 (Lecture) @ 5-6:30pm (PT)
- Oct 19 (Discussion) @ 5-6pm (PT)
- Topic 4 – Scripture
- Nov 2 (Lecture) @ 5-6:30pm (PT)
- Nov 16 (Discussion) @ 5-6pm (PT)
- Topic 5 – Catechesis
- Dec 7 (Lecture) @ 5-6:30pm (PT)
- Jan 18 (Discussion) @ 5-6pm (PT)
- Topic 6 – US Immigration History
- Feb 1 (Lecture) @ 5-6:30pm (PT)
- Feb 15 (Discussion) @ 5-6pm (PT)
- Topic 7 – Interracial and Intercultural Realities
- Mar 7 (Lecture) @ 5-6:30pm (PT)
- Mar 21 (Discussion) @ 5-6pm (PT)
- Topic 8 – Catholic Ethics in API Communities
- Apr 4 (Lecture) @ 5-6:30pm (PT)
- Apr 18 (Discussion) @ 5-6pm (PT)
- Topic 9 – Liturgy
- May 2 (Lecture) @ 5-6:30pm (PT)
- May 16 (Discussion) @ 5-6pm (PT)
- Topic 10 – Current Realities & Final Project
- Jun 6 (Lecture) @ 5-6:30 pm (PT)
- June 20-23 In Person
- Fr. Linh Hoang, OFM, PhD
- Ms. Eunice Park, MTS, MAMC
Tuition: $1200 (includes all fees and in-person session accommodations)