FST appreciates the commitment you are making to theological education, and to ministry in the Church and society. We understand that financing a graduate degree can be challenging in today’s economy, and are delighted to be able to offer assistance.
The Franciscan School of Theology offers scholarships and two special programs for employees of Catholic institutions and professed members of the Secular Franciscan Order. In addition, FST participates in the Federal Direct Loan Program, open to US citizens and permanent residents.
We recommend that applicants apply for financial aid process when they apply for admission. Please notify the Admissions department as soon as possible if you will be applying for financial aid.
Recipients of Financial Aid will be notified of their award after their acceptance to FST.
Financial Aid Priority Deadlines
The deadline for Fall semester is March 15. The deadline for Spring is November 1. Financial Aid applications submitted after the deadlines will be considered in the order received and according to academic merit, need, and the availability of funds.
Types of Institutional Financial Aid
The Franciscan School of Theology offers scholarships to incoming full-time degree students. The Mary Stuart Rogers Scholarship and the Oliver Lynch Scholarship are awarded to applicants who have shown exceptional academic achievement in their previous academic work and who demonstrate financial need. Additional need-based scholarships are available. The terms and amounts vary based on each application, when it is received, and the availability of funds.
Catholic Employee Tuition Reduction
Applicants employed in Catholic schools, parishes, religious orders, or related institutions may be eligible for either a 25% reduction in tuition, or up to 50% matching funds from FST equal to their employer’s contribution. Both degree and non-degree students taking courses for full-credit qualify for this program. Students receiving other financial aid do not qualify for this discount.
Professed Members of the Secular Franciscan Order (OFS) Tuition Reduction
The particular and special relationship to those professed in the life of St. Francis motivates FST to extend financial support to professed members of the Secular Franciscan Order (OFS). OFS applicants may be eligible for either a 25% reduction in tuition or up to 50% matching funds from FST when a fraternity contributes to their tuition. Both degree and non-degree students taking courses for full-credit qualify for this program. Students receiving other financial aid do not qualify for this discount.
Clare of Assisi Scholar Program
Graduates of the Franciscan School of Theology may audit individual courses for a reduced fee through the Clare of Assisi Scholar program. See the Clare of Assisi page for more details.
Financial Aid Policies
- Financial aid is available for full time (6 or more units) degree students. Catholic employee and Secular Franciscan Order tuition reductions are not limited to full-time degree students.
- Degree students must complete all elements of the Financial Aid process to be considered for Financial Aid in any amount.
- FST Institutional Financial Aid is limited to the cost of tuition for the academic year. Awards are adjusted accordingly from year to year. Institutional financial aid does not cover fees, books, housing, living expenses or health care expenses.
- Students must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress and Achievement as defined in our Academic Policies handbook, and, in some cases, may have specific academic expectations based on the source of their award.
- Financial aid is granted only for the maximum number of years designated for the student’s degree program. Financial responsibility falls to the student when his or her program extends beyond the maximum number of years. Only courses required for your degree qualify for financial aid.
- Financial Aid applications are determined by the FST-Financial Aid Committee and officially awarded in writing by the President of the Franciscan School of Theology.
Apply for Financial Aid
You may complete your application online here or you may choose to download and print the application form. Find the Application and other forms using the links below. Completed forms and documents may be uploaded here, or sent via mail, email, or fax.
- Apply for financial aid online or submit a Financial Aid Application form.
- Submit a Statement of Need detailing the nature and degree of your need for financial aid.
- Create an FSA ID the FSA ID – a username and password – has replaced the Federal Student Aid PIN and must be used to log in to certain U.S. Department of Education websites.
- File a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). FST’s Federal School Code is G11792. The Department of Education uses the FAFSA to calculate your EFC number (Expected Family Contribution) which FST will use together with other information to determine your financial aid award.
- Students awarded a federal student loan will need to follow the steps outlined on the Unsubsidized Federal Loan Information and Instructions sheet in order to accept and receive their loan.
Limited tuition aid may be available to international students. In addition to the four steps above, International Students must complete the Financial Declaration Form for International Students after being accepted by FST showing the amount of personal, family, sponsor, government, or other financial support in place for the upcoming academic year.
Members of Religious Orders
In addition to the four steps above, members of religious orders must submit a statement from their superior indicating the amount of financial support (in $USD) to be provided by the Order in the upcoming academic year, the nature of the student’s financial need, and the aid amount requested.
Applicants employed in Catholic schools, parishes, religious orders, and professed members of the Secular Franciscan Order may be eligible for either a 25% reduction in tuition, or up to 50% matching funds from FST equal to their employer’s contribution. Applicants for the Catholic Employee or OFS discount do not need to complete the FST Financial Aid Application or FAFSA. To apply for a Catholic Employee Discount, simply submit a completed Catholic Employee or OFS tuition reduction application.
Questions? Contact our directors of Admissions and Recruitment:
(760) 547-1800 ext. 226
(760) 547-1800 ext. 204
Franciscan School of Theology
Office of Admissions
4050 Mission Ave
Oceanside, CA 92057
FAX: (760) 547-1807